Friday 20 January 2012

Intoductory Post! January 20th.

Hello!
My name is Rebecca Miller.  I am a second year human ecology/combined education student with a minor in special education.  So far I have really enjoyed my experience at the U of A and I don't hesitate to inform others about human ecology because I've learned that not very many people know about it! Anyway my goal at the end of my 5 year degree is to become a high school Food Studies teacher.  Just as I was graduating high school they were starting a Special Needs Food Studies class and with my minor being special education I would love to get involved with something like that. Other classes I can teach with this degree are Fashion Studies, Health, Special Education, and CALM (Career And Life Managment) to name a few.

I would say that communication is a pretty important part of my daily life, having had facebook and twitter for many years and an iPhone with constant access to internet, checking updates and posts has become as automatic as checking my text messages and email.  I feel that being technology savvy is going to be extremely important by the time I start my teaching career.  Some high school teachers are even starting to have their own class websites making it easier for students and their parents to contact them, which is great! With all the new ways that students can go about doing assignments I'd really like to incorporate the online aspect more often in my classrooms than not, and I strongly feel that other aspiring teachers should consider this path also. Because of this, ALES 204 seems to be a great tutorial for those who don't use these great aspects of our technological world (and a good refresher for those of us that do!)

Since we are asked to start our own blog for this class I am pretty excited because hopefully it will give me the push to start my own food blog! I am an avid follower of food blogs (I am becoming a foods teacher so that's normal right?) and have a few personal favorites such as: http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/ and http://www.skinnytaste.com/
I love how easily accessible they are and being able to read the comments of others who have tried the recipes and tweaked them almost always end up with success! These blogs will be a great tool when coming up with lesson plans and recipes in my classroom.
My friend and classmate Paige Powers loves food blogs too if you'd like to check out her blog too. http://paipowers.blogspot.com/
I've included a picture of a menu cover that I took while in Flagstaff, Arizona just a few weeks ago.  The reason why it was so exciting was because this restaurant was featured on the Food Network program "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives", so I was thrilled to be able to eat somewhere so famous!
Well that's enough about me!
-Rebecca



3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    that's a really cool career goal that you have in mind. I agree that using the internet and technology in classrooms is very beneficial. I had my organic chemistry teacher set up a facebook group for my class last semester and that made it easy to ask the professor questions, as well as get other students to answer each other's questions. It really is another means of interacting in this day in age. The internet makes the professor much more accessible and made attaining help so much easier. Good luck on your future career aspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that you would be having so many options from getting your degree! They all sound like they would be fun and interesting classes to teach. I'm sure technology and the knowledge we gained in ALES 204 (like the exposure to blogging, CV's, Facebook pages, etc.) will come in handy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca,

    I love how you mention starting your own food blog! I'm an avid blog reader as well, and have tried several recipes because of food blogs. I hope ALES 204 has given you the skills and motivation to do so. I would definitely follow along :).

    Rosie
    rosie-ales.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete