Friday 13 April 2012

Blog Entry 4: Human Ecology

As I am a second year human ecology student, I have learned that a vast majority of people have no idea what human ecology is.  Everytime I tell someone what program I am in fot school I get the same lost face that screams, "HUH?".  So, I have decided to dedicate my free post to human ecology, for those who haven't the faintest idea as to what it is.

To get you started, human ecology is the study of humans and their environment.  It is impossible to define human ecology as it is an interdisiplinary subject.  Some believe it is a branch of sociology, others think it is how humans deal with environmental issues, and some claim it to have, "[emerged] from the study of ecology in the natural sciences and developing as a perspective for analysis and problem solving in several social sciences." (Micklin & Choldin, 1984)...the possibilities are endless. 

Human ecology is not something that is studied widely, infact the only two universities in Canada that offer it is the University of Manitoba and the University of Alberta. I am very fortunate to have a university so close to home that offers this program. Since human ecology is rooted from the area of home economics, this is wear my career path fits in.  As Brown (1985) advises, "Enhancement of the well-being of families and improvement of the conditions of their existance has been a dominant value of the field since its origins," this is what human ecology means to me.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am in the human ecology combined education degree and plan to become a food studies teacher.  I honestly can't think of a better job for myself as I am maternal as it gets. Other career options that human ecology offers that I am interested in are; youth worker, shelter worker, family counsellor, social/community agency worker, and social worker. 

This is really just a great program and I encourage students who have not yet decided on a career to check it out here!
Also, I didn't mention the other path of human ecology, which is textiles and clothing, but here is another human ecology students blog who can tell you a bit about it!


 



References

Brown, M.M. (1985) Philosophical Studies of Home Economics in the United States: Our Practical-Intellectual Heritage. (Vol. II), East Lansing, MI; Michigan State University.

Micklin, M., and Choldin, H.M. (Eds.). (1984) Sociological Human Ecology: Contemporary Issues and Applications. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.

[University of Alberta Department of Human Ecology] Retrieved March 13, 2012, from: http://www.toolkit.ualberta.ca/en/Toolkit/Logos/ALES/DepartmentofHumanEcology.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment